Tags

, , , , ,

20160327_135321_resized

They’re further along than shown here…

Yeesh, these things just keep going. My 1780s-90s stays are I’d say about 75-80 percent done. All the boning is in, all the eyelets are sewn, and I’m in the process of attaching the back panels to the side panels. Then the front edges below the eyelets have to be sewn together. Then all the edges have to be bound. Then the stays have to be lined, including individually lining the tabs. THEN I have to attach the twill tape straps and strap guides, and the hooks at the waist and sew the eyelets on the straps. And THEN they’ll be done.

But at least they’re getting to the stage where I’ll be able to try them on and make sure they’re going to fit correctly. I’m still a tad worried about the top edges overlapping in back, but hopefully it won’t be a problem. Fingers crossed.

I’m loving the German plastic boning. It’s so easy to cut and the ends file down nicely with an emery board. The only problem I had was that some of my channels, stitched through 3 layers, were a bit snug. There was cursing. And possibly some stomping. But steam from my iron and some tugging and pushing and shoving got all the bones into their channels. I used mostly the 3 mm boning and a few strips of 5 mm boning. For the center back I used 1/4-inch-wide flat steel bones, and for the center front I decided to use a standard 1/4-inch-wide flat steel plus a heavy-duty/double-thick 1/4-inch-wide flat steel. This makes the front edges very rigid. The standard steel went into the stitched channel and the double-thick steel slid between the layers of the folded-back center-front edge. Hope it’s not overkill.

Once I try the stays on (this weekend pleasepleaseplease sewing muses), I’ll have a good idea of my waist measurement in them and can start the 2 petticoats. The gown pattern is all prepped and my construction sequence all figured out.

I can do this. 3 weeks is enough time. I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

Advertisements